Bookmark and Share

My Anus Is Purple And Swollen

Published: November 17, 2015
Dear My Anus Is Purple And Swollen,

I have an anal fetish. I recently experimented with a very large anal plug and couldn't seem to remove it. I panicked and removed it forcefully and quickly. My anus is now purple and swollen. I'm pretty certain it's not something from the inside protruding out. I believe my anus is bruised and swollen. This just happened withing the last two hours. I know the recommended course of action would be to see a doctor, but for obvious reasons, I would like to avoid that. I assume, if it is just trauma induced swelling, that it will eventually subside and return to normal. My question is, does this sound like a reasonable assumption based on the description of the injury? And, if so, how long should it take for the swelling and discoloration to subside?

Dear My Anus Is Purple And Swollen,

Based on the description you gave it is difficult to know the extent of any injury you may have sustained in “forcefully” removing the plug. The anus can sometimes protrude, so you should not assume there is nothing protruding. If you have any concerns about the extent of injury, TeenHealthFX recommends you contact your primary care physician or an adolescent medicine specialist. The only way you will find out for sure if there is a problem and the area needs some kind of treatment is by having the area examined by a medical professional. FX can appreciate that it might feel embarrassing to have a doctor examine this part of your body, but try to remember that medical professionals are not there to judge you and that medical professionals are accustomed to dealing with all types of medical issues.

You should definitely contact your doctor if you experiences any of the following:

  • Your pain is increasing

  • You develop any fever or abdominal pain

  • The injury is not improving daily

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center or Planned Parenthood. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.