Bookmark and Share

Mom Is Mad At Me For Having One Bad Grade

Published: May 14, 2012
Dear TeenHealthFX,
My mom is mad at me for making a bad grade. How can I try to get her to get over it, I did good in my other classes and do all of my chores and never question her.
Signed: Mom Is Mad At Me For Having One Bad Grade

Dear Mom Is Mad At Me For Having One Bad Grade,


TeenHealthFX thinks it would be helpful for you to talk to your mother about this situation. It sounds like her being angry with you is very distressing for you – so it is important that you find a way to communicate this to your mother for the sake of your relationship with one another. Let her know how it affects you and how you feel when she is mad at you, and let her know if you are feeling like the bad grade gets more of an emphasis than the good grades, your being so on top of your chores, and your generally not giving her a hard time about things. Finally, let your mother know that rather than being angry at you about the grade, what would be helpful for you is for the two of you to talk about what contributed to the grade and how to get the grade in that class up (i.e., extra help with your teacher, private tutoring, etc.).

If you find that talking to your mother on your own about this is not helpful, then consider having a third party talk about it with the two of you, such as your teacher, your school counselor, or even a private therapist. If you find that it greatly affects your mood or how you feel about yourself when your mother is mad at you, you may want to consider discussing this with a school counselor or private therapist on your own so you can get some support and guidance in how to deal with these negative thoughts and feelings so you don’t take her anger as a personal statement about who you are as an individual.

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.

Signed: TeenHealthFX