Overdose of Vitamin A

Published: July 25, 2019
Dear TeenHealthFX,
My friend took three bottles of vitamin A. He is showing no symptoms. Should we be worried?
Signed: Overdose of Vitamin A

Dear Overdose of Vitamin A ,

You mention that your friend took three bottles of vitamin A but don’t specifically mention how many pills, when and over what span of time. Vitamin A overdose can occur if an extremely high dose is consumed over a short span of time. Although you mention that he isn’t showing any symptoms it’s important to know that symptoms of a vitamin A overdose can include nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, diarrhea, joint pain, trouble sleeping, confusion, loss of appetite, blurred vision, headache and dizziness.

TeenHealth recommends that your friend tell his parents or another trusted adult. They can contact their doctor who can determine if there is a level of toxicity and recommend a course of treatment. Any vitamin overdose has a toxicity level even if there are no immediate symptoms. There also needs to be a discussion as to why your friend took an overdose of vitamins. He might benefit from meeting a reputable mental health professional, such as a clinical social worker or clinical psychologist.  Another resource is the National Poison Control Help Line at 1-800-222-1222. They offer free, confidential, expert medical advice 24/7 and can connect him with your local poison control center.

Signed: TeenHealthFX