Bullied And Battles In School

Published: May 14, 2012
Dear TeenHealthFX,
I get bullied at school loads. I suppose its more of a battle than being bullied. The reason behind it is who I am. I'm, to use one word, a goth or emo. I listen to heavy metal and screaming music, I always wear black, I'm in a screaming band, that kinda thing. Until now, I have bit back, fights and all. It doesnt bother me but now they have threatened to "punish" my suposedly "unholy" girlfriend. Shes like me, shes a goth. I have literally fought to keep her out of this its now their choice. What do I do?
Signed: Bullied And Battles In School

Dear Bullied And Battles In School,


If people at your school have made threats against your girlfriend, it is important that you make your girlfriend and her parents aware of the situation so whatever necessary steps can be taken to help keep her safe (i.e., making sure she is not alone when leaving the school building in case any students try and do something to hurt her). It is also critical that you inform some key staff members at your school, such as a principal or vice principal, about these threats so that they can intervene on your girlfriend’s behalf. Keeping your girlfriend safe from harm is a definite priority here, so it is important that you involve adults who can help to ensure she does not continue to be threatened or harmed in any way and that you do not try and deal with this all on your own.

As far as what has gone on between you and some of your peers, FX thinks it would be helpful for you to talk to someone about how this bullying has affected you, what it means to you to continually deal with these “battles,” and the best way to handle these conflicts for your sake and for those close to you (such as your girlfriend). You could speak to your parents, a school counselor, or even a private therapist to get some support and guidance as to how to handle this situation.

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.

Signed: TeenHealthFX