Who Can I Talk To About My Abuse History?

Published: May 14, 2012
Dear TeenHealthFX,
I'm very emotional I can take physical abuse way better then verbal abuse. My grandmother made me go w/my father from age 7 to like 14, the whole time I was raped &verbally abused. I was also sexually assaulted my her boyfriend &verbally raped. My mother died when I was three &I have so much hidden emotions to get off my chest I just need someone to tlk to, is there anyone?
Signed: Who Can I Talk To About My Abuse History?

Dear Who Can I Talk To About My Abuse History?,


TeenHealthFX is so sorry to hear that you had to endure such terrible physical and sexual abuse for so many years. We can absolutely understand that you would want to talk about this with someone and work out all of the thoughts and feelings related to these terrible experiences. There are definitely many resources for you out there – we have listed them below:


  • There are therapists specially trained in working with victims of sexual and physical abuse. If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers.

  • You can contact the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAIN), at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673), 24 hours, 7days a week for help and information.

  • Most schools have social workers or psychologists on staff who are available to meet with the students. You could check to see if your school has any mental health professionals on staff who could either meet with you or refer you to the appropriate agencies and professionals who could help you.

  • You can also check with local hospitals and agencies (or have a school counselor check for you) to see if there are any groups available for you that work with victims of abuse or people grieving the loss of a loved one.

  • If any abuse is currently going on, you can contact your state child protective agency. In New Jersey, you would contact DYFS at 1-877-NJ-ABUSE. Outside of NJ you could check your phone book to find the name and number to contact. You could also contact the Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-792-8610, 24 hours, 7 days a week to report physical or sexual abuse and to get help.

  • If you live in northern NJ you can also call First Call For Help to get referral information. You can reach them in NJ by dialing 2-1-1 or 1-800-555-HELP. 

There are definitely resources out there for you, and people who will want to be there for you in a helpful and supportive way as you deal with these difficult issues. So reach out to some professionals and trusted adults around you and take advantage of what is out there.

Signed: TeenHealthFX