My Grades Are Slipping And I'm Skipping School

Published: April 12, 2016
Dear TeenHealthFX,

I don't know what's wrong with me, my grades are slipping, I keep skipping school and sleeping off the day. I have no drive or want to do anything and I can't talk to my mom about this

Signed: My Grades Are Slipping And I'm Skipping School

Dear My Grades Are Slipping And I'm Skipping School,

Since you are feeling unable to speak to your mother about this, then TeenHealthFX recommends you start by speaking to a trusted adult at school about it, such as a teacher, the school nurse, or a school social worker. It is important that you have an adult intervene on your behalf in terms of discussing this issue with your mother and ensuring that you are properly evaluated for any medical or mental health issues that could be contributing to your fatigue and lack of drive.

It would be very helpful for you to meet with a medical health professional who can assess whether there are any medical problems contributing to your increased need for sleep. It would also be very important for you to meet with a reputable mental health professional, such as a clinical social worker or clinical psychologist, who can assess the situation to see if there are any emotional health issues at play here, such as depression and/or problematic family dynamics (something to consider given your comment that you cannot speak to your mother about this). A mental health professional could assess the situation and make treatment recommendations on how to effectively address this issue. At the very least, it would be important for a therapist to address the issues in your relationship with your mother that have left you feeling unable to confide in her as feeling disconnected from your mother and alone in dealing with these issues will only make matters worse.

If you feel unable to meet with someone personally, then start with an email. You could email a staff member at school, a friend, an extended family member or anyone else who can intervene on your behalf to ensure that this issue is addressed.

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.

Signed: TeenHealthFX