How Do You Deal With Feelings After a Miscarriage?

Published: January 25, 2017
Dear TeenHealthFX,
How to deal with after feelings about miscarriage?
Signed: How Do You Deal With Feelings After a Miscarriage?

Dear How Do You Deal With Feelings After a Miscarriage?,

While miscarriage is a relatively common event in many woman’s lives, it does not mean it is an easy thing to deal with. It is perfectly normal to have strong emotional reactions to a miscarriage. Depending on the circumstances a person might experience grief, disappointment, guilt, sadness, shock or relief. Given the complexity and intensity of feelings that can come up, it is important to have support and help in dealing with this difficult time.

Planned Parenthood gives the following advice on how to deal with feelings after a miscarriage:

  • Give yourself permission to grieve this loss. Grief is a normal response to miscarriage, and it should not be made light of or denied.
  •  If you have a partner, understand that he or she may need to grieve the loss, too. Your partner may not express his or her emotions the same way you do. But trying to communicate your feelings and support to each other may help each of you cope.
  • Give yourself time to heal from the loss of your pregnancy. The amount of time it will take is different for everyone.


If you find you are having difficulties managing the emotions that are coming up with you, then consider speaking to a reputable mental health provider, such as a clinical social worker or clinical psychologist. A therapist can help you to sort out whatever feelings are coming up for you about the miscarriage. You can also speak to your healthcare provider, as he/she may know of additional resources or ways for you to get the help and support you need.

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center or Planned Parenthood. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.

Signed: TeenHealthFX