High School Social Worker Doesn't Want Contact With Me - I Feel Like Dying

Published: November 19, 2012
Dear High School Social Worker Doesn't Want Contact With Me - I Feel Like Dying,

in highschool i met a social worker and i wrote him letters all the time about how i feel about anything. four years later he dont want contact with me, and i feel like dying.

Dear High School Social Worker Doesn't Want Contact With Me - I Feel Like Dying,

If you are no longer attending the high school, this social worker may feel that by staying in contact with you he is crossing over professional boundaries. While maintaining certain boundaries might feel difficult for clients of mental health professionals, or students of a school that has mental health professionals on staff, these boundaries are important to ensure that the relationship remains professional and that the needs of the person seeking out help are met.

Given that it sounds like you are feeling rejected by this person, that you might be interested in having someone to have there for you in a therapeutic way, and that you are feeling like dying, TeenHealthFX strongly recommends that you meet with a reputable therapist, such as a clinical social worker or clinical psychologist, as soon as possible. It would be helpful for you to have your own therapist whom you could meet with on a regular basis so that you could:

  • Have a private and safe place to discuss your feelings.
  • Have a working relationship with a therapist where there are clear, professional boundaries.
  • Discuss how this social worker’s recent actions have affected you, and come up with ways to deal with these feelings.
  • Address your feeling of wanting to die so you do not do anything to harm yourself.

FX appreciates that it must be very difficult for you not to have contact with this social worker any more. However, know that there are many therapists out there who can be there for you with guidance and support as you work through the issues you would like to address so that you are not feeling so distraught any more.

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.

If you get to the point that you are seriously considering suicide or are afraid of your impulses then you need to seek help immediately. You can call 911 or go to your nearest hospital emergency room. In northern New Jersey you can also call the crisis hotline from Morristown Memorial hospital at 973-540-0100. Outside this area call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433), available 24 hours a day, or the Suicide & Crisis Hotline, 1-800-999-9999, 24 hours, 7 days a week.