Need To Deal With An Issue About Wanting A Little Brother, But No Money For Therapy

Published: April 30, 2014
Dear Need To Deal With An Issue About Wanting A Little Brother, But No Money For Therapy,

Sorry if it's long but please answer :( I'm a 14 year old boy with Selective Mutism(SM) but I think that I have some other problems not known by anyone which I think are OCD along with deppresion and maybe anxiety, stress and a couple others. My main concern though is these thoughts or feelings I've been having lately. For like the last few years I've been wanting to have a little brother but recently this longing has began to hurt me emotionally and has left a gap in me. It's the part about wanting to protect, care for, play with, help and talk with a little brother. I hear that they can be annoying at times but still, I just really want one. A couple of times the longing got so strong that I was thinking (and still am) of "taking" someone as a little brother. I know it wouldn't be the same though as actually having a real one but I'm really afraid that sometime I might actually do something(I don't want to do it though). I've talked to a teacher I'm close to at school about this but she doesn't have enough time for me to talk about it really though. I mean I know they're busy but still I don't think they realize how serious this is because even the counselor there doesn't seem to have the time. Also I know I could see a therapist or something but we don't have the money for that. A docter(who doesn't know about this feeling/longing) is trying to find something either cheaper or free (since she knows how we don't got alot of money)but that could take months. I think even if I could do something with children like idk, help, care for, play with, then it might help fill in that gap a bit but of course there's the SM that ruins that kind of chance. Please help with this! :(

Dear Need To Deal With An Issue About Wanting A Little Brother, But No Money For Therapy,

TeenHeathFX agrees that it would be very helpful for you to meet with a reputable mental health professional, such as a clinical psychologist or clinical social worker, so you can address these issues. Most towns and cities have clinics or agencies that provide mental health services at sliding scale fees or even at no cost. Given your financial situation, it would be helpful for you to get connected with this kind of agency in your area. You can speak to your parents, school counselor or doctor about finding resources in your area.

For more information, you can also read the KidsHealth article Teens: Finding Low-Cost Mental Health Care. This article discusses how to get treatment when money is an issue, and includes such resources as the National Association of Free Clinics and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Health Resources and Services Administration which also provides a list of federally funded clinics by state.