I'm Suffering and I Feel Worthless

Published: October 16, 2017
Dear TeenHealthFX,

Dear teen health, I've been doing horrible in school I get bad grades on test and I disappoint my parents sometimes I do my homework but a lot of the time I just listen to music and play video games I don't know what to do I'm suffering I feel like I'm worthless and I'll grow up to be a homeless man because of my grades

Signed: I'm Suffering and I Feel Worthless

Dear I'm Suffering and I Feel Worthless,

TeenHealthFX would like to start by saying that we are very sorry to hear that you are suffering right now. Whether pain is physical or emotional it can be a very hard thing to cope with. This can be especially true if the intensity of the pain, or the frequency in which we experience the pain, increases.

If you have been feeling this way more often than not for some time, it is possible that you are dealing with some form of depression. Signs of depression in teens can include what you described above: slipping grades, lack of motivation or interest in things, isolation from friends and family, feeling worthless and feeling hopeless.

That said, FX recommends that you speak to your parents and/or a counselor at school to talk about the possibility of scheduling a consultation with a reputable mental health professional, such as a clinical social worker or clinical psychologist. A reputable mental health professional can give you a definitive diagnosis and can work with you to address some of the issues you described above.   

FX can appreciate that sometimes when we are in emotional pain, are not feeling good about ourselves and are feeling hopeless about the future, it can be difficult to reach out for help and to believe that things can get better. FX wants to remind you that there is help available to you and people who will want to be helpful to you as you deal with some of these issues. So please reach out for help as soon as possible.

If you live in northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist you can call the Access Center from Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. Outside of this area you can log onto the US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for referrals in your area. You can also contact your insurance company to get a list of in-network mental health providers or check with your school social worker or psychologist to get a list of referrals in your area.

Signed: TeenHealthFX