I Might Have Sprained My Ankle - Should I Go To The Doctor?

Published: December 16, 2013
Dear I Might Have Sprained My Ankle - Should I Go To The Doctor?,

I hurt my ankle the other day. I don't think it's broken. Probably just a sprain if anything. But how do I know if I should go to the doctor? Or should I just wait it out because it just needs time?

Dear I Might Have Sprained My Ankle - Should I Go To The Doctor?,

Boston Children’s Hospital Young Men’s Health website presents the following information as part of their article on Muscle Sprains:

How do I know if I should see my health care provider (HCP)?

If you've sprained a part of your body, you're going to be in some pain. It might be hard to tell the difference between a sprain and a broken bone, so it's a good idea to see your HCP and get checked out.

It's especially important to see your HCP if you have any of the following symptoms:

  • You have severe pain and you can't put any weight on the injured area
  • You can't move the injured area at all
  • The part you've injured looks crooked, has lumps and bumps (that look different than normal swelling), or you see redness or red streaks spreading out from the area
  • Any part of the area you've injured feels numb

It's also important to see your HCP if you've injured a part of you body that has been hurt more than once before.


Hopefully this information is helpful to you. TeenHealthFX would also say that in general it’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to various kinds of injuries and illnesses – so if you ever have a medical concern, better to just check in with your doctor about it and know for sure what is going on and what kind of treatment (if any) is needed.

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.