Do I Have A Ganglion Cyst On The Back Of My Wrist?

Published: February 16, 2015
Dear Do I Have A Ganglion Cyst On The Back Of My Wrist?,

It appears I have a ganglion cyst on the back of my wrist, though I'm not certain as I can only do a certain amount of research. My parents refuse to get me any medical treatment, they believe I'm overreacting. At first I though it was Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but a bump started forming under the skin. I am currently an art student, and doing so in using my hand/wrist so much is just making the pain worse. I don't know what to do?

Dear Do I Have A Ganglion Cyst On The Back Of My Wrist?,

According to the Mayo Clinic, “ganglion cysts are noncancerous lumps that most commonly develop along the tendons or joints of your wrists or hands. They also may occur in the ankles and feet. Ganglion cysts are typically round or oval and are filled with a jelly-like fluid.

Small ganglion cysts can be pea-sized, while larger ones can be around an inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. Ganglion cysts can be painful if they press on a nearby nerve. Their location can sometimes interfere with joint movement.”

While it is possible you may have a ganglion cyst, TeenHealthFX is unable to diagnose you as such over the internet. FX also wants to make sure that you are aware that you cannot properly diagnose yourself just by doing research on the web. What FX will say is that since you have a noticeable lump on your wrist that is causing you pain, you need to meet with a doctor who can provide you with an accurate diagnosis and whatever treatment may be needed.

FX is unclear why your parents would not want to seek out medical advice given there is a noticeable lump and you are experiencing pain. However, if they continue to be reluctant about this, then FX recommends you speak to your school nurse about the issue. Your school nurse can look at your wrist and then reach out to your parents to encourage them to take you to the doctor. If your parents continue not to get you needed medical care despite your nurse intervening, let the school nurse know and she can decide the best way to proceed so that you get the medical care you need.

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health at 973-971-5199 for an appointment with an adolescent medicine specialist or contact your local teen health center. You can also contact your insurance company for a list of in-network providers.