Body Covered with Hives

Published: September 01, 2014
Dear Body Covered with Hives,

I have broken out with hives all over my body. They really itch badly. My mom say's it is poisen ivy, but I'm not sure.

Dear Body Covered with Hives,

TeenHealthFX thinks that it is important for you to meet with a medical health professional as soon as possible – either your primary care physician, adolescent medicine specialist, or a dermatologist (a skin health specialist). It is possible that it could be Poison Ivy but there are other possibilities and without being evaluated medically you won’t know for sure. Know the diagnosis is crucial to how you proceed with treatment. Severe Poison Ivy, very often will also need to be treated by a doctor because it requires stronger medication then what you can get over the counter.  

If you don't have a doctor and live in northern New Jersey, you can call the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health in Morristown 973-971-6475 or the Adolescent/Young Adult Center for Health in Summit at 908-522-5757 for an appointment. Outside this area you can check with your insurance carrier or a local Teen Health Center.