12 Tips for Self-Care in 2021
Self-care is an extremely important concept that should be practiced by everyone regardless of age. Learning how to practice good self-care now will help you later in life.
When it comes to self-care, there are 4 important categories: emotional, physical, psychological, and spiritual health.
Here are some tips to help you get started on your journey of self-care:
- Make time for yourself a priority. Schedule in breaks if you need to.
- Keep a routine. This can help you feel physically and emotionally well.
- Eat regularly throughout the day to avoid eating too much.
- Get enough sleep. Avoid staying up very late and/or sleeping until noon. This will make you feel even more tired. Yes, there is such a thing as sleeping too much.
- Get moving. Any form of activity such as walking, jogging, or even yoga for 10 minutes a day.
- Practice good hygiene. Make sure to shower and brush your teeth daily.
- Drink water.
- Try something new.
- Focus on something positive. Write out your strengths and accomplishments.
- Try to be more mindful. Meditate, pray, or practice some form of spiritual outreach.
- Identify what is important to you. Think about how you can protect those values.
- Seek help if needed.
If you live in Northern New Jersey and need help finding a therapist, you can call the Access Center for Atlantic Behavioral Health at 888-247-1400. If you need immediate assistance, call 911 or the Northern New Jersey crisis hotline from Morristown Medical Center at 973-540-0100. It is open 24/7.
Other options available are the text Crisis Text Line by Texting HOME to 741741 to connect with a Crisis Counselor. In addition, check out our national mental health resource page for additional information. If you need immediate assistance, call 911.